Thursday 20 December 2012

I’ve not been well, I have been off work taking medication and I’ve simply not felt like writing recently.  As with the last two years around half of our members voted with 1040 in support and 116 against.  As with last year in addition to a strike on Boxing Day ASLEF have called for extra days, only two in January rather than last year’s three.  No doubt these will also get called off when LUL promises to hold “meaningful talks” which no doubt will fail to materialise and we’ll go through the same sorry process next November.


Management don’t care, their jobs are safe, the press don’t question their press releases so why should they bother to do anything.  If the people running the Tube don’t care, if they have so little regard for their passengers and employees, why should I give a damn?  I think I've had enough of 2012, I might be back in 2013 but right now I'm just too tired for any of this.
 
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Shrugged

    Sorry to hear that you haven't been well. I hope you make a quick recovery. I'm also highly distressed that you have lost your motivation for what seems to be your job and writing this blog.

    I for one very much enjoy reading your updates and at some stage each day take a look to see if you have posted anything new. I don't work in the railway industry but having grown up at the top end of the Northern Line and got to know many station and train staff over the years, I have always taken a keen interest. My other half describes my interest in a slightly different way!

    Personally, I'm not sure that management don't care. In a former life, I used to have to deal with trade union representatives and on the whole I found them to be confrontational and ready at the drop of a hat to cause aggravation. The purpose of them I thought was to look after the best interest of their members.

    I often wonder how so many people accept the likes of Bob Crow et al as their representative. Most are forced to for fear of intimidation. I do think, and I'm not sure I am alone in this thought, that salaries are quite generous, particularly if you look at your role. I fully appreciate you have to work unsociable hours at times and have to deal with rather unpleasant people.

    I appear to be droning on a bit here. What I am getting to is - I hope you feel better soon. You have a job that so many people would love. Enjoy it and don't let the politics of it all grind you down!

    Have a good Xmas and successful 2013. I for one appreciate the time that you take to inform and interest us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having read this, I have to say I'm with you drivers 110% over this.

    Even as a passenger on the tube, I'm not forced to work Boxing Day (though I know Doctors, Nurses, etc are), but it seems that the way LU have treated you is just wrong, then they whinge when the drivers decide to strike.

    I wish you a Happy Christmas and a peaceful New Year and hope you manage to get your spark back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear that you are unwell but I do hope that you are recovered in time to enjoy Christmas.Thank you for your postings this year - you add an extra dimension to my understanding of how public transport works in London and your comments on my writing are always inciteful and hence welcome.
    regards
    Mwmbwls
    http://www.londonreconnections.com/

    ReplyDelete